Illness and Despair | Puppies

Hi! So, firstly: Pupps are fine now. It’s been a while since I’ve posted something (on Christmas Eve, if I remember correctly) and there’s been a situation lately, which I didn’t have time to write about. Last week was very hard both for me and for my lil’ sis and parents in terms of puppies, my finals, my sis’ entrance exam for middle school and my illness. But let’s do this one thing at the time. Continue reading for more information…

On 2nd January I left to Brno, because of some of my final exams, which I was supposed to take on 4th January. I took the exams (one of which I didn’t pass – but don’t worry, I have two more chances to take and pass the exam) and on the same day lil’ sis went to take the entrance exam for her middle school. She’s applying for the fashion middle school in Lysá nad Labem, because she’s good at art, sewing and diy stuff. And guess what, she passed the exam achieving the best results. I’m so proud. :)

On 5th January I went back home, where I realized the puppies had some kind of illness causing them diarrhoea. We thought it was because of the dog food – that their stomach didn’t get used to it or something. They lost weight A LOT – their bones were even showing through their skin.
However, they all started getting better apart from the purple boy, who didn’t want to eat nor drink. We thought it’s going to get better, but he didn’t eat or drink the next day as well. In the evening my mum lost her nerve and wanted to go to the vet emergency, but it was 9 pm and we couldn’t possibly get far, because it was snowing heavily during the past two days, so the roads were hard to drive on.

Mum decided to at least call the vet emergency for advice. The first one said she didn’t have her car with her today, so she couldn’t come to the surgery room. She also said it was quite an emergency, because the puppies were just five weeks old, which is too young to survive this long without food.
She told us to call her colleague. Mum was losing it and I’m quite good at keeping myself togehter during stress situations, so I grabbed the phone and called the other lady. She was the worst vet I’ve ever spoke with. She was so careless and clearly too lazy to drive to the surgery room to help us. She had the “well, either it lives through the night or it dies” kind of attitude. I was like “Ok, bye” and angrily hung up. It’s so AWESOME how some people just don’t care about your problems, just because it’s too hard or too uncomfortable for them to make an effort. And don’t make me even start on the “it’s JUST a dog” issues.


Fortunately, the puppy lived through the night and in the morning it was like a completely different dog. He started to eat and drink, played with the others and was very happy. We all phewed.

Now it’s been almost a week since then and they are all fine now. They eat and drink normally, play and keep running around. Their weight is around 3 kilos now, and they are six weeks old.

We were so worried about them, the more because these are our first puppies and it’s all new for us and suddenly they get all sick and… It’s just… Very hard. In any case, I’m very glad they’re okay now. :)


Published by

Natalie K.

I am a girl in her twenties from Czech Republic. I study Italian and German at Masaryk University in Brno, where I live as well. I am obsessed with tea and vanilla ice cream, haha! I love books, blogging, Disney and of course my two adorable Rhodesian Ridgeback ladies.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s